Sunday, December 19, 2010

Um, I'm sorry, WHAT?

That would be my reaction to finding out I'm pregnant. Actually, that WAS my reaction, sometime in mid-October. And that is the reason this blog has not been updated for such a long time. I just knew I couldn't write it without talking about this new development, and we were not ready to share those particular news with the blogosphere. But now, when I'm well (ok, a week) into the second trimester, I think it's time.
So, around the beginning of October I was getting really tired. Like, in bed by 9pm tired (that's really early for me, considering Adam only goes to bed at 7:30, and then there's the adult dinner making and eating etc.). My husband said, well, you're back at work, you have a lot going on, it makes sense. So I assumed that was the case. I was also really hungry, but I thought it was due to the fact that I've been trying to cut back on my portions (still has some baby-weight left...). But then, I was pretty sure my period was late, and I started smelling things I usually don't. So I thought, I'll just get a kit when I'm the store, and just pee on the stick to get some peace of mind. Saturday night I finally remember the kit I bought a few days ago and I tell my husband I'll do the test in the morning. He goes to sleep pretty late typically (working until 2am, which is something I gave up on understanding), so he emails me, jokingly, wake me up if you're pregnant. With a smiley face. 5am I wake up for some unknown reason (Adam probably made some noises, he talks in his sleep), and I really need to pee. So I groggily take out the test, and try to aim at the stick. A minute later, I'm WIDE awake. Freaking two stripes. Two stripes?? But that's a positive. What the...??
So I go wake up my husband. He asked, after all. We spend an hour talking about this, and come out with the decision that, well, since we were planning on two anyway, and it's really just a year or so early, it's not worth taking dramatic measures (that is, to terminate the pregnancy. Sorry if I'm offending anyone, but it was an option at that point). So, I get up to take care of Adam, who woke up at 6, as per usual, with this in my head.
It's been a roller coster, that's for sure. I wasn't planning on this. It took me completely by surprise. I'm going to have 2 kids under 2 in the house in a bit less than 6 months. Also, it's not going to be THIS house. Our condo is just too small for everyone, so we bought a new place - three bedroom old house, in a neighborhood that is close to the center but family-oriented. We're beginning to settle down... :) The new house is 15 minutes walk from the university, so that's a big plus for me. Adam will still be going to daycare, and I'm having my parents, then my mother-in-law, then my sister to come stay with us and help out. I'm finding out about all sorts of people I know who are pregnant and have around the same schedule as we do, so that will be lots of fun.
I'm so NOT a stay at home mom. And yet, I'm going to stay home next year, and take care of another baby. Didn't see that one coming, let me tell you that. On the other hand, I'm starting to get used to the idea of another year at home. First few months I'll have help, and this time I've learned my lesson and baby and I are going to ALL the activities this city has to offer. Strollercise, baby salsa, baby time at the library, mom and baby coffee, we'll be out of the house most of the day, really. At least, that's my plan. We'll see what happens.
Mean while, between buying a new house, selling our condo, baking for Christmas (even though we're JEWISH), and the final exams I have to mark, this has been a crazy week. Apparently, the universe (or something) likes keeping me on my toes. So be it. I say, bring it on.

No comments:

Post a Comment